Give Up Comparison
Things we compare.
COMPARISON MAKES US THINK TWO THINGS
1. I'M NOT GOOD ENOUGH
2. I'M GOING TO BECOME BETTER THAN EVERYONE ELSE
C.S. Lewis - “We say that people are proud of being rich, or clever, or good-looking, but they are not. They are proud of being richer, or cleverer, or better looking than others. If everyone else became equally rich, or clever, or good-looking, there would be nothing to be proud about.
2 CORINTHIANS 10:12 We do not dare to classify or compare ourselves with some who commend themselves. When they measure themselves by themselves and compare themselves with themselves, they are not wise.
SUCCESS IN LIFE IS NOT A MATTER OF BEING INFERIOR OR SUPERIOR, IT IS SIMPLY BEING WHO GOD WANTS YOU TO BE… NOT WHO YOU WISH YOU WERE.
WHY DOES GOD HATE WHEN WE COMPARE?
1. COMPARISON DEVALUES YOUR UNIQUENESS
2. COMPARISON DISRUPTS YOUR CALLING
3. COMPARISON DEVERTS YOUR FOCUS
COMPARISON TAKES OUR EYES OFF JESUS AND DIVERTS OUR FOCUS
4. COMPARISON DESTABILIZES YOUR SENSE OF ACCOMPLISHMENT
GALATIANS 6:4 DON’T COMPARE YOURSELF WITH OTHERS. JUST LOOK AT YOUR OWN WORK TO SEE IF YOU HAVE DONE ANYTHING TO BE PROUD OF. YOU MUST EACH ACCEPT THE RESPONSIBILITIES THAT ARE YOURS.
- Comparison is the thief of joy – Theodore Roosevelt
HOW DO WE GET RID OF COMPARISON
HEBREWS 12:1-3 Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles. And let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us, Let us fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy set before Him endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God. Consider him who endured such opposition from sinners, so that you will not grow weary and lose heart.
5 VERBS WE SEE
· RID let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles
· RUN And let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us
ROMANS 12:4-8 4 For just as each of us has one body with many members, and these members do not all have the same function, 5 so in Christ we, though many, form one body, and each member belongs to all the others. 6 We have different gifts, according to the grace given to each of us. If your gift is prophesying, then prophesy in accordance with your[a] faith; 7 if it is serving, then serve; if it is teaching, then teach; 8 if it is to encourage, then give encouragement; if it is giving, then give generously; if it is to lead,[b] do it diligently; if it is to show mercy, do it cheerfully.
Ephesians 2:10 For we are God’s workmanship, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do
WHEN YOU KNOW WHO YOU ARE, YOU KNOW WHO YOU DON’T HAVE TO BE
· FIX Let us fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of our faith
THE ONLY WAY TO STOP COMPARING YOURSELF IS TO FIX YOUR EYES ON JESUS
· FIGHT who for the joy set before Him endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God. Consider him who endured such opposition from sinners, so that you will not grow weary and lose heart.
1. START WITH GRATITUDE
2. HAVE A PLAN TOMORROW FOR WHAT GOD WANTS YOU TO DO
3. DON’T ALWAYS PICK THE VERY BEST PERSON IN EVERY DISCIPLINE TO COMPARE YOURSELF TO
4. WHEN YOU FIND PEOPLE WHO INSPIRE YOU DECIPHER WHAT YOU CAN LEARN FROM THEM VERSES HOW YOU COMPARE TO THEM
5. COMPARE PROGRESS GAINED IN YOUR LIFE, NOT JUST THE PROGRESS THAT NEEDS TO BE GAINED
6. PUBLICLY PRAISE THE SUCCESS OF OTHERS, ESPECIALLY THE ONES THAT GOT WHAT YOU WANTED
7. NEVER STOP REMINDING YOURSELF WHO YOU ARE
Samuel Johnson “People need to be reminded a lot more than they need to be instructed”
- I am loved 1 John 3:3
- I am accepted Ephesians 1:6
- I am a child of God John 1:12
- I am a joint heir with Christ, Romans 8:17
- I am a member of Christ's body. 1 Corinthians 12:27
- I am a Saint Ephesians 1:1
- I am redeemed and forgiven Colossians 1:14
- I am complete in Jesus Christ Colossians 2:10
- I am free from condemnation Romans 8:1
- I am a new creation because I am in Christ 2Corinthians 5:17
- I am chosen of God, holy and dearly loved Colossians 3:12
- I am God’s workmanship Ephesians 2:10